Angel City Press Submission Guidelines
Before you submit a proposal to Angel City Press, please take the time to look through a few of the books we have already published; they provide by far the best illustration of the material we are interested in publishing.
We do not publish children's books, how-to-books or most poetry -- if your idea fits those categories, another publisher would be much more appropriate for your work.
That said, we are interested in proposals for books with a strong historical/nostalgic angle, salable in both the general book and specialty/gift markets and preferably aimed at two niche markets (for example,Hollywood and food, the West and American folklore, Southern California and people's cast-off Kodachrome slides). Book content should be at least 60% photographic.
Submit proposals by mail only (no electronic transmissions, please) to:
Angel City Press
attn: Editorial Submissions
2118 Wilshire Blvd. #880
Santa Monica CA 90403-5784 USA
Your proposal should include the following:
- Proposed book title and a brief summary of its content
- Proposed length of manuscript and quantity of illustrations, photos, etc.
- Suggested table of contents
- Introduction, a sample chapter and copies of selected artwork from the proposed book (do NOT send originals!)
- A description of the audience for the book and examples of how you believe it should be promoted
- Titles of other books to which your proposed book may be similar, and how your book would be unique in the marketplace
- Author biography
It is perfectly okay to send a query letter in advance of a proposal. Better, in fact.
- ACP authors agree to provide all photographs/illustrations and full rights for their use
- ACP pays author royalties of 10% of net revenues from book sales, with payment timing based on receipt of funds
- ACP will respond to your proposal within two months
- Please do not send a completed manuscript, especially in lieu of a proposal
- Please do not telephone to inquire about the status of your proposal; we cannot accept your calls
- Please do enclose a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage for any material you wish returned to you; otherwise you will not receive the material back.